Inactivated yeasts are an extremely powerful and versatile natural instrument for protecting musts and wines from oxidative processes.
Inactivation’s techniques greatly affect antioxidant, stabilizers and sensorial characteristics of inactivated yeasts: the new X-PRO® process
The great potential of yeast controlling oxidations during sur lies is a very well-known characteristic.
Aging sur lies, in fact, represents a perfect example of how it is possible to increase the longevity of wines, thanks to the contribution of molecules with reducing action released by yeasts during the autolysis process, without the addition of chemical additives. Fining on "fine lees" in the cellar, however, is a long procedure, applicable only to wines and therefore not to grapes and musts, where the oxidation reactions are among the most active.
These considerations have led Enologica Vason's R&D department to focus the attention on the research and selection of yeasts with high antioxidant/stabilizer capacities and of a new inactivation’s process.
The inactivation technique is certainly one of the most important aspects in diversification in terms of compositional characteristics of inactive yeasts. The process’ temperature greatly influences the content of the thiol molecules responsible for antioxidant activities, in addition to the polysaccharide and mannoprotein content.
The inactivation technique also has a strong effect on the sensory impact of inactivated yeasts and/or yeast derivatives in wine. High temperatures, especially in the final phase of the production process (dehydration), can in fact promote Maillard reactions with the consequent formation of undesired odorous compounds that can also be found in wine (smell of broth, cheese).
The new inactivation X-PRO® process allows, in a completely innovative way, to obtain inactive yeast through a process that takes place under vacuum and with temperatures close to ambient.
With this innovation a range of 4 new inactivated yeasts with different characteristics were developed:
- X-PRO® PROTECTION has a great reductive capacity, with specific action against wine oxidation;
- X-PRO® IDENTITY WHITE, X-PRO® IDENTITY RED create a balanced and stable environment in ageing, with interesting stabilizing actions;
- X-PRO® FINESSE is ideal to enhance the elegance in sparkling wines while improving finesse and duration of the perlage.
Inside the downloadable document you will find:
- Inactivation technique: how much does affect the properties of inactive yeasts and/or yeast derivatives
- Mechanisms of action of inactivated yeasts in the prevention of oxidative processes
- Application of inactivated yeasts for the prevention of oxidative processes
- Grapes and musts
- Curative action
- Oxidative browning of wines: how to intervene?
Inactivated yeasts: present innovation, future necessity <
Other INFOcus articles: